Jefferson Public Radio (JPR) is Southern Oregon University’s (SOU) network of public radio stations. JPR extends the University’s regional outreach and educational mission by facilitating lifelong learning, fostering the arts, strengthening civic engagement and promoting the University’s academic programs.
This position works within JPR’ s news department, producing high-quality in-depth features, newscast spots, interviews, photos, videos and other news content for JPR’s air and digital platforms, including social media. The reporter/producer may also anchor newscasts, host programs, help edit others, appear as a program guest and help during station fundraising activities.
Minimum Classification Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field OR, four years of experience writing, producing and reporting OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education
Three years professional journalism experience
· Significant portfolio of NPR-style radio features and newscast spots.
· Spanish language fluency
· Experience as Morning Edition, Weekend Edition or All Things Considered host.
Supervisory Responsibilities, if applicable
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Demonstrated skills using digital audio recording and editing equipment
· Strong writing, interviewing and reporting skills
· Demonstrated understanding and commitment to high ethical standards in reporting
· Proven ability to work efficiently and meet deadlines
· Demonstrated ability to develop sources in covering a beat or general reporting
· Work collaboratively within a newsroom team environment
· Demonstrated ability using online content management system.
· Experience using multimedia tools for online reporting (still photography, video, infographics)
· Experience using social media tools to develop and engage an online audience
· Knowledge of civic issues facing citizens in Oregon and/or the Pacific Northwest.
· Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner.
· Work with a high level of productivity and accuracy/attention to detail.
· Excellent organizational and time management skills.
· Initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
· Adapt to and work effectively in a heavily bureaucratic environment which requires regular interaction with a number of levels within the organization.
· Working knowledge, or ability to quickly learn, university infrastructure, policies and procedures.
- Plan, develop and produce high-quality, in-depth news content consistent with established JPR journalistic standards on a variety of topics of regional interest to JPR listeners.
- Serve as backup host and newscaster for network programs as assigned.
- Participate in on-air fund drives and other development and promotional functions as assigned.
- Attend meetings, maintain appropriate record keeping, correspondence, phone calls, supplies and equipment. Other duties as assigned.
•Willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
•Work additional hours and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
•Successfully pass a pre-employment background check.
•Under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA):
-Position classification defined as “exempt” are not subject overtime
-Position classifications defined as “non exempt” are subject to overtime
•The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the Oregon Revised Statues and is required to comply with the requirements set forth by the Oregon department of Human Services.
For full details and application, visit https://jobs.sou.edu/postings/11527
Application must be received by for priority consideration – 10/01/2023
To apply for this job please visit jobs.sou.edu.